Friday, November 23, 2007

Requested Letter to WVDOH generated as a result of November meeting

Commissioner Mattox,

The increasing traffic collisions, some fatal, on US 50 are being attributed to GPS Navigation Units putting through traffic onto US 50 that otherwise would not be on the route. In order to reduce collisions, the US 50 Association request signage be placed on US 50 or just before US 50 warning drivers that GPS Navigation is not the best option.

On US 50 West bound in Mineral County before the US 220 North split we request a large warning sign of the following nature be placed at the US 220 North split and one a 1/4 to 1/2 mile prior to the US 220 North split. Below is a suggestion for the sign.

GPS NAVIGATION WARNING
US 50 WEST NOT BUILT TO MODERN STANDARDS
THROUGH TRAFFIC TO CLARKSBURG, WV
RECOMMEND FOLLOWING
US 220 NORTH TO I-68 WEST TO I-79 SOUTH

On US 50 East bound in Harrison County prior to the I-79 intersection and on I-79 North bound prior to the US 50 intersection we request a warning sign of the following nature.

GPS NAVIGATION WARNING
US 50 EAST NOT BUILT TO MODERN STANDARDS
THROUGH TRAFFIC TO WINCHESTER, VA
RECOMMEND FOLLOWING
I-79 NORTH TO I-68 EAST TO US 220 SOUTH TO US 50 EAST

From the US 220 split to Clarksburg it is a drive of about 2 hours whether or not you take US 50, or take US 220 to I-69 to I-79. Taking the interstate is a much safer route and adds no additional time to the trip.

Please consider this request to increase the safety of US 50 through the most mountainous section.

Thank You
US 50 Association

No comments: